“It is my passion to understand the ancients and share that knowledge with others who enjoy the same passion.”
Julien van Dommelen is a historical tour guide for Bulgaria. He specialises in historical and archaeological tours of Bulgaria and the Balkans. He has a passion for classical history, ancient knowledge, megalithic structures. Julien lives in Bulgaria for 6 years. He has learned Bulgarian and unravelled the origins of folkloric traditions that have been handed over millennia to young Bulgarians today.
“The ancient Thracians and previous inhabitants of these lands are still talking to us through folklore, architecture and beautiful artifacts. For those who can see it (and I will show it to you) ancient history in Bulgaria and the Balkans is a fascinating story where every page connects us in time to ancient sources of knowledge and a global culture.”
Knowledgeable and caring
Julien is both a guide for foreign guests as well as Bulgarian families and school children so traditions and folklore continue to be appreciated and passed on from generation to generation.
- Thanks again for a great introduction to Bulgaria and Thrace. I enjoyed working with you very much.
Professor Andrew Smith, lecturer in Classics at the School of Classics, University College Dublin, Ireland led a Archaeiological Tour of Bulgariawith Julien’s support.
- Julien was very good. He put a lot of effort into preparing the tour and worked very hard to make sure everyone was happy. All this contributed to making our tour such great success. All his arrangements functioned very well and several people said he was the best guide they had had on any tour – Classical Association or other.
Joan was the group organiser for the Classical Tour of Bulgaria.
- Breathe the Bulgarian atmosphere in the company of Julien and his family and you will not be sorry. Adventures, stories, crafts…
Polya from Bulgaria.
- Julien, with his always positive energy made our holidays one big feast!!
Nel from The Netherlands visited Bulgaria and Romania with JMB Travel and Julien as a historical tour guide.
- A real professional, very friendly and extremely reliable. I would readily recommend Julien!
Zhana from Bulgaria.
A passion for history
Julien van Dommelen has always had a passion for understanding history and its impact on our lives. He read history, economics, politics at the Sorbonne in Paris and the University of London:
- Masters in History from the Sorbonne, Paris.
- Masters in Economics and Politics from the University of London
- Licensed guide in Bulgaria with experience of cultural and historical tours of Bulgaria, Romania, Greece and Turkey
“I create a cultural bridge to Bulgaria and the Balkans to help you understand the region today and its contribution to our common cultural heritage.”
An experienced guide
Julien has extensive historical tour guiding experience in Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey and Romania. He has visited all the main historical and archaeological sites in Bulgaria. He can compare between cultures in neighbouring countries as well as further away in Western Europe and the Middle-East. His education, experience, knowledge and passion is unequalled in Bulgaria.
- Sofia (Serdica)
- Rila monastery
- Plovdiv (Philippopolis, Trimontium)
- Hisaria (Diocletianopolis)
- Kazanluk Thracian tombs (Ostrusha, Shushmanets, Kazanluk UNESCO tomb)
- Rose distilleries
- Gabrovo: Etara
- Veliko Tarnovo
- Nikopolis ad Istrum
- Stara Zagora (Augusta Traiana, Beroe)
- Sozopol (Apollonia)
- Nessebar (Mesemvria)
- Burgas: aquae calidae
- Varna (Odessos) and the Varna culture
- Devnya (Marcianopolis)
- Madara horseman
- Villa Armira
- Peles castle
- Moldovan monasteries: Sucevita, Humor, Moldovita, Voronet,
- Alba Iulia
Julien van Dommelen is a historical tour guide in English and French. He will be glad to recommend tour guides in German, Dutch, Italian and other languages.